Thursday, February 1, 2007

SPICY STIR-FRIED CABBAGE, TOFU AND PEANUTS, MY VERSION

Best Blog Tips


This is going to be a short post about a quick dinner I made the other night with what I had left in the refrigerator before I went shopping!

I found this recipe in an old Homemakers magazine from the library where I work. It sounded good, and I thought I'd serve it with quinoa instead of rice. When I made it, though (with less oil), I found it a bit boring, and I added some soy sauce and otherwise jazzed it up a bit. I also added sliced green onions for a garnish, because the color was kind of dull. You could use thinly-sliced red bell peppers, or anything colorful and tasty. We enjoyed it. It's simple, tasty, homey, inexpensive, and easy.


SPICY STIR-FRIED CABBAGE, TOFU AND PEANUTS, MY VERSION

3 Tbs water
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs Chinese black bean and garlic sauce (if you can't find this in a store near you, here's a homemade recipe; use veggie broth, of course)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs oil
3 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red chile pepper flakes
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 pkg (350 g or 12 oz.) extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed (NOT silken tofu)
8 cups coarsely chopped Savoy cabbage
1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
1/2 tsp ground Szechuan pepper (optional)
1 tsp sesame oil
For garnish: 2 more green onions, diagonally sliced

In small bowl, mix together water, soy sauce, black bean sauce, vinegar, sugar and water; set aside.

In wok, stir-fry pan, or large skillet (preferably nonstick), heat oil over high heat; stir-fry onions, garlic, pepper flakes, and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tofu. Add cabbage; stir-fry until cabbage begins to wilt. Add black bean sauce mixture and stir-fry until cabbage is tender and sauce is dry, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in peanuts and Szechuan pepper (if using); cook until just heated through; stir in sesame oil.

Serve with rice or quinoa.

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving):
291.6 calories; 54% calories from fat; 18.9g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 43.8mg sodium; 741.3mg potassium; 21.2g carbohydrates; 6.5g fiber; 11.2g sugar; 14.8g net carbs; 16.0g protein; 6.6 points.

Original Recipe Source
Homemakers Magazine: February/March 2005

Enjoy!


3 comments:

Allie B said...

Just wanted to drop in and say that I love your blog (I'm going to link to it because I think my readers will absolutely love it too!)

I think I've made a dish very similar before, using a bottled curry sauce called Khanghi's, I dont if you've heard of it because the brand is local to Vermont, where I live. Anyways, it turned out very yummy, and your picture of the dish is making my tummy rumble!

Take care and keep up the good cookin'!
~Allie
http://aveganlife.blogspot.com

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks, SVC! Wow-- you have an amazing blog! I am going to link to it here. I will also have to send a link to my grandaughter (not a vegan, but a vegetarian)-- she's the same age as you are. Cheers! B

Jen said...

I've made this twice, so good! I used regular green cabbage the first time and it was almost like rice noodles. Thanks for the recipe!