Tuesday, January 8, 2008

ABOUT SOY CURLS™ AND COOKING WITH FRESH PINEAPPLE

Best Blog Tips

Fresh Pineapple-Noodle Stir-Fry from my book World Vegan Feast

Last night I felt like having a light, Asian-style noodle dish, and I had a few ingredients that needed using-up-- namely, some sliced chard, what was left of a fresh pineapple, and two portobello mushrooms that wouldn't last too much longer. I also wanted something high in fiber and low in fat.  Fresh Pineapple-Noodle Stir-Fry  is what I came up with and it was delicious! UPDATE: The recipe is in my book World Vegan Feast.

To tell you the truth, I haven't used fresh pineapple that often before, but now we can get fresh organic pineapples for a decent price, so I've been buying one now and then. I'm experimenting with some fresh pineapple recipes for my (update: now defunct) quarterly newsletter, the Vegan Feast, which is why I had some left over. Even though fresh pineapple can be very sweet, it also has a tartness that canned unsweetened pineapple doesn't have, making it a great addition to a savory dish such as the one below.

For the protein component in this dish, I used Soy Curls™, which I reconstitute in hot chicken-style veggie broth (I use equal measures dry Soy Curls™ and broth). However, in this dish you could use strips of any chicken-style vegan meat analog, including seitan; or Yves, MorningstarFarms, LightLife, or President's Choice stir-fry style "chicken" strips; or grilled or fried tempeh strips; or strips of baked seasoned tofu.

What are these Soy Curls™ I keep mentioning and why do I like them so much? (PS: I do not get a commission for this endorsement, nor do I sell them!)



They are somewhat like dried textured soy protein, but superior in texture and also less processed. They are made only from WHOLE (non-GMO) soybeans, so they contain all the fiber and natural oil, and have no additives or preservatives. (For this reason, I freeze them, even though they are a dried product, to prevent rancidity.)

Organic Kingdom, an online food store from Burlington, VT, describes them like this:

"Soy Curls are a delicious natural, delicately textured product made from 100% whole soybeans. The exquisite flavor results from a special process of lightly cooking, and texturing. Soy Curls contain the natural goodness of the soybean including all essential amino acids. Soy Curls are high in fiber, easy to prepare, no cholesterol and contain the whole bean. Non GMO, grown without chemical pesticides."

When reconstituted in hot broth (which takes only 5 minutes or so), the strips are like tender chicken (though you could flavor them differently). (I usually reconstituted more than I am using at that particular time and freeze the remaining for really quick meals.) They are very versatile and wonderful for stir-fries, casseroles, etc.. You will see a number of recipes I have developed for them on this blog (Update: and in my book, World Vegan Feast).

Because I have to order them by mail, I buy them in bulk, in a 12 lb. box, which I usually split with a friend.

I only have to order them 2 or 3 times a year. You can find out where to buy them online and in Canada,the USA, the Caribbean, and in Europe on this pageamazon.com carries them in a variety of sizes and bags, and even the "crumbs, which can be used like TVP granules (here's a recipe using them), or you can order them right from Butler Foods. Most Seventh Day Adventist stores sell them in bulk.



HERE ARE THE SOY CURL RECIPES ON THIS BLOG (PARTIALLY UPDATED JAN. 6, 2018-- STILL SOME LINKS TO ADD):


http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.ca/2015/11/vegan-one-pot-pasta-with-broccoli-spicy.html

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.ca/2014/04/our-energy-saving-experiences-one-pot.html

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.ca/2012/06/spur-of-moment-pastaveggie-dish-comes.html

 


















Fresh Pineapple-Noodle Stir-Fry from my book World Vegan Feast

Enjoy!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try the recipes! Thank you!
I love pineapple (we love your Pineapple rice recipe).

Thank you so much for the link, Bryanna!
Mr. Butler (a very nice man!) has not updated his website yet but VivaGranola.com now carries the SoyCurls in 8oz. bags.

Still eating your Pasta Puttanesca at least once a week ! LOL

Anonymous said...

Although I don't eat soy, I will try this recipe without it. It sounds too good to be true. =)

Steffi said...

I love soy curls. does anybody have an idea how to get them in Europe? I used to buy them from food fight! but they no longer ship here :(

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

pavotrouge.. the best course would be to contact the butlerfoods folks and see if they have an outlet in Europe or the UK. Otherwise, contact Gaia (above) via the vivagranola.com website

mustardseed said...

Hi Bryanna, nice recipes, but I suggest organising yourhuge ginormous stock of yummy ideas! Cause they're very hard to browse!!

Oh and me and my best friend aren't too keen on mock meat, we like our tofu and beans better! Coupled with truckloads of veggies.

Anonymous said...

yum! do you know if the soy curls are gluten free? the website doesn't seem to say.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Yes, they are gluten-free. It is a soy product, not a wheat gluten product. The only ingredient is whole soybean.

Rachelle said...

I received my 12 lb box of soy curls a couple of weeks ago. I'd never tried them and ordered them solely on Bryanna's recommendation. No regrets whatsoever! These are so superior to other soy products I've tried it's hard to describe. I ordered directly from Butler Foods, and even with shipping (nearly $50!), buying in bulk made this around the same price as the So Soya Soy Chunks (dried) I've been using. I put them in Glad Freezer Bags and it made 19 stuffed bags, so about $5/bag. One bag makes at least two BIG meals for two people.

What's better? They soak very quickly. I bought the chicken-flavoured seasoning which is delicious. I just soak about 5-10 minutes, squeeze out extra water with my hands, sprinkle on some seasoning, stir to coat, and fry in a little oil for a few minutes. It can turn nice & crispy if want that. The texture is more natural and variable than other soy products, probably because the Curls are made from whole beans, not flour that is pressed into precise shapes. I've even tasted the dried, unsoaked, uncooked soy curls and they're not awful (they actually taste like food rather than cardboard).

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

So glad you wrote, Rachelle! I have munched them dry on occasion and they aren't half-bad! I have yet to try their seasoning-- I just use soak gthem in chicken-style broth. But I should try it your way, maybe using my own broth powder mix:
http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/homemade-veggie-broth-powder-big-batch.html

Rachelle said...

Thanks Bryanna. I do plan to try your seasoning mix as soon as the Chick is all gone. I really like the idea of making my own.

Lis said...

Soy Curls are one of my favorite ingredients! I love the fact that they come unflavored so I can steer the flavor wherever I want it to go. And your recipe looks delicious!