Friday, October 21, 2011

VEGAN COMFORT CLOGS!

Best Blog Tips

I know-- you're probably wondering why I'm talking about clogs on a cooking blog, and, of course, this is Vegan Month of FOOD.  But I think that this is an important topic for those of us who spend alot of time MAKING food.  On a personal level, not only am I on my feet alot (and not as young as I used to be), but I also have "foot issues".  I've been on a mission to find a comfortable, supportive VEGAN clog, which I can also wear to my "day job" at the library. 

It has to be a "comfort clog".  It has to support the arches (regular and metatarsil) and it has to have a raised "rocker" toe to keep pressure off the toes. Over the years I have had difficulty finding vegan shoes that fit the bill.  Birkenstock has some vegan shoes and clogs, but they didn't work for me; nor did vegan Earth Shoes.  And I really don't like to wear athletic shoes st work!

I knew about Dansko clogs, of course, and their reputation as a great work shoe, but, being a country girl without access to big city shoe stores, I did not know that they had vegan clogs with the same construction values as their other shoes. Recently, while perusing shoe websites online, I discovered the world of Dansko vegan clogs!  There are some pretty nice-looking styles. I wanted to share this with you because I can't be the only vegan with foot issues or just plain tired feet! Your local shoe store might be able to get them in for you, and you can also check out zappos.com and many other shoe stores and sites.There's a "store finder"  and a list of stores on the Dansko website at this page.

Canadians, this online store carries Dansko (they only carry 3 vegan shoes that I can see: Voley Floral Rose, Volley Hopsack Sand, and Volley Canvas Navy) and so does this one (they only carry the Volley Floral Blue canvas and Dansko Veda clog/Oxford in beige or navy canvas and white-- not shown on this post). 

These 100% animal-free shoes are made entirely of vegan materials but sport exactly the same construction and frame as the original. Available in canvas, cotton and acrylic uppers in a variety of colors and patterns, they have Dansko’s supportive footbed and signature rocker bottom. And here's a page that tells you how to care for and clean these fabrics.

UPDATE: I just found out that Sanita clogs are very much like Dansko. Sanita made shoes for Dansko in Denmark for 40 years, but now Sanita has their own brand. Here is the Women's vegan professional clog: http://www.clogkingdom.com/sanita%20vegan%20clogs%20for%20women And here are 2 Sanita Professional Vegan multi-color textile clogs: Aponi: http://www.footprints.com/product/4513/sanita
and Ayoe: http://www.zappos.com/sanita-professional-ayoe-vegan-fuschia-textile?utm_source=shopstyle


(DISCLAIMER:  I do not represent Dansko shoes or sell them or have any monetary arrangement with the company!)

The  following comes from the Dansko website, but some of the links are to amazon.com or http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/dansko-womens-vegan which also carry some styles:



  SANIBEL
A lighter version: "Lighten up with our new Sanibel collection. Part sneaker, part clog—all Dansko! "

http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Collections/Sanibel/Filter/Features/Vegan,
*Canvas styles are vegan approved.  PS: They have some that look kind of like sneakers in this collection, but they didn't appeal to me. BCG



I like the look of this one FOR COOKING IN: 
Volley Black Coated Canvas
Volley Navy Canvas 
Volley
Sanibel
Volley Rose Floral Canvas 
Volley
Sanibel
Volley White Canvas 
Volley
Sanibel
Volley Black Canvas 
Volley
Sanibel
Volley Sage Floral Canvas 
Volley
Sanibel
Volley Red Canvas 
Volley
Sanibel
Volley Blue Floral Canvas 
Volley
Sanibel
Volley Sand Canvas  
Volley
Sanibel


3 comments:

robin asbell said...

I have the black Volleys, I wish more vegan shoe makers would get into wide and supportive shoes. Years of pounding my feet around a kitchen seem to have made them spread out.;-)
Cute high heels are nice, but give me a shoe I can go all day in.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Amen to that, Robin!

Amey said...

wow Bryanna! This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this info! I am another vegan who didn't know that Danskos came in vegan styles. I had a pair, years ago, of the leather ones & I remember them being quite comfy. really cool!