Monday, May 21, 2012

STRIKE GOLD-- SOUTH CAROLINA GOLD BBQ SAUCE, THAT IS

Best Blog Tips
If you want to try a differently delicious barbecue sauce for your vegan burger, seitan"ribz"and cutlets, or what-have-you,  try this unique one:

                                               South Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce

I'm re-posting this after pulling it because I thought it might be in my book World Vegan Feast, but it didn't make the cut.  With barbecue and grilling season ahead, I thought it deserved a second reading, so to speak.

I hadn't heard of this sauce until I read a mystery novel by Kathy Reichs (I'm a longtime, avid mystery fiction fan), whose main character resides and works both in South Carolina and Montreal. In one book, her heroine, Temperance Brennan, brings the precious golden mustard-based BBQ sauce from South Carolina to Montreal with her. That intrigued me and the search was on. I found many recipes online-- all different. This is the one I worked out for myself. I have nothing to compare it with (no one's ever heard of it in my neck of the woods!), but everyone who tastes it goes crazy over it!

BTW, despite the fact that the main actress is a vegan, I really don't like the show "Bones", which is extremely loosely based on Ms. Reichs' novels. Read the novels-- they are far superior! And give this BBQ sauce a try-- it's one of the best I've ever made, takes very little effort to make, and it's so different from most BBQ sauces that it really makes an impression.

Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S SOUTH CAROLINA GOLD BBQ SAUCE
Servings: 10
Yield: about 2 1/2 cups
 

I'm fairly certain that most cooks in South Carolina don't use Dijon mustard, but, what the heck-- it's our favorite and it works!

1 Tbs dark sesame oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1 jar (8 oz./250 mg) smooth Dijon mustard (One favorite brand is Grey Poupon; another is Maille)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegan broth
1 1/2 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce (or more to taste)

(NOTE: A reader asked about subs...you can try any sort of hot sauce and see what you think. Louisiana hot sauce is pretty vinegary, but it's not as if the recipe uses that much of it. So go ahead and experiment!)
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried crumbled thyme
freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Heat the sesame oil in a small skillet and sauté the onions, stirring frequently, over medium heat until softened.

Combine all the other ingredients except the bay leaf in a medium saucepan with a whisk. Stir n the onions and add the bay leaf. Bring to boil. Turn down and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf. Pour into a jar, cover and refrigerate.



Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per 1/4-cup serving)
: 108.3 calories; 20% calories from fat; 2.6g total fat; 0.1mg cholesterol; 481.6mg sodium; 146.8mg potassium; 21.3g carbohydrates; 1.0g fiber; 16.3g sugar; 20.2g net carbs; 1.6g protein; 2.2 points.

Enjoy!



8 comments:

Sarah said...

This looks delish! And I've read that book. I thought I was the only vegan who loves crime fiction (some people think it's weird). I quite like the TV show, but it's much better if you don't compare them - they are too different. Thanks for your great blog!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful home-made creation! I love those flavours in here! :) I made a batch & it xas a real treat! So good & so tasty too! :)

Many greets from a foodie from Belgium! :)
I am not a vegan but make a lot of vegan foods: 5 x/week!

Anonymous said...

Bryanna, what would be a sub for Louisiana Hot Sauce as I dont think you can get it here. Would sriracha be acceptable?

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Anonymous, you can try any sort of hot sauce and see what you think. Louisiana hot sauce is pretty vinegary, but it's not as if the recipe uses that much of it. So g ahead and experiment!

Stephanie said...

As a born and raised South Carolinian I know and love the bbq sause you read about. It is very specific to the Midlands of SC. If you want a truly authentic sauce you can order some from Shealy's (you can find them on line @ shealysbbq.com). Maurice's BBQ sause is also a common one sold at the grocery store that's pretty close to the real stuff. They might sell it on Amazon. Thanks for spreading the love!

Corrin Radd said...

Woah. Made this tonight and used it on grilled tofu--amazing flavor! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Actually, the character in Kathy Reichs' books spends her time between North Carolina & Montreal.

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Yes, I've read the books and noted that in my 2nd paragraph.