Sunday, July 7, 2013

TWO EASY-AS-PIE VEGAN FROZEN DELIGHTS

Best Blog Tips

Lime-y Avocado Sorbet

 
                  Easy Three-Berry Vegan Frozen Yogurt


I had to laugh after I told my husband that we were  trying out a rather unusual sorbet after dinner.  he said, "It's not avocado is it?" (He had seen it, evidently.)  I said, defensively, "It's lime!"  Which was true, up to a point.  So, I served it (as pictured above and below) and he loved it, at which time I confessed and he admitted that he should be more open-minded.

I've been getting out the ice cream machine lately for experimenting, since it's suddenly full summer here.  I have had two successes with my first two tries, so far.  The Three-Berry Vegan Frozen Yogurt   was a riff on an old recipe from my book "Soyfood Cooking for a Positive Menopause", and it is very low in fat (as long as you don't use a vegan yogurt made from full-fat coconut milk!), and so refreshing and beautiful!  Using frozen berries to make the mixture means that you can start freezing it in your ice cream machine immediately, instead of having to wait for it to thoroughly chill.

The second (referred to in my first paragraph), came about simply because I had two large ripe avocados to use up and I had been wanting to try an avocado frozen dessert for some time.  I try to keep the fat level down in most of my cooking, so I wanted to make an avocado sorbet with only the avocado providing the creaminess.  (Many recipes I have looked at also call for full-fat coconut milk, which would raise the calorie level considerably.)  So I started out with a simple recipe from The Savvy Vegetarian.  She didn't specify the size of the 3 avocados called for, so I assumed she meant medium ones.  I had 3 large ones, so that's what I used.  I also added some lime zest to pump up the lime flavor-- the zest adds so much flavor compared to using the juice alone.  It's higher in calories and fat than the berry dessert, but well worth it once in a while!

I hope you enjoy these super-easy vegan frozen delights!


BRYANNA’S VERSION OF LIME-Y AVOCADO SORBET
Servings: 6
Yield: 3 cups
One of those inexpensive little ice cream makers with the metal insert that you freeze (like a Donvier) works just fine with this recipe.  I started out with a simple recipe from The Savvy Vegetarian and changed it a little. (See above.)
  
1 cup cold water        
2/3 cup freshly-squeezed or organic bottled lime juice          
2 large  perfectly ripe avocados-- scoop the flesh out of the shells just before blending       
3/4 cup light granulated unbleached organic sugar OR 1/2 cup light agave nectar   
zest of 2 medium organic limes
Optional:
1/2 teaspoon Instant Clear Jel OR 1/8 teaspoon Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum (This keeps the mixture from freezing absolutely solid and adds creaminess, but, since the avocado contains natural oils, the mixture is creamy enough that you might not feel you need it. See about Instant Clear Jel here.)
Garnish:        
Large flake coconut, lightly toasted, if you like        

Add the ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor in the order given.  Process the mixture until smooth. Place the mixture in a covered container and chill thoroughly before freezing. Freeze according to your machine's instructions. Scoop into a covered freezer container and freeze until firm before serving.

 Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per 1/2 cup serving): 231.7 calories; 42% calories from fat; 11.8g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 7.5mg sodium; 421.3mg potassium; 33.9g carbohydrates; 5.3g fiber; 25.7g sugar; 28.6g net carbs; 1.6g protein; 4.8 points


*****************************************************************


Printable Copy

BRYANNA’S EASY THREE-BERRY VEGAN FROZEN YOGURT
(Can be soy-free)
Servings: 8
Yield: Makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups

I used soy yogurt, but you can use whatever is your favorite. One of those inexpensive little ice cream makers with the metal insert that you freeze (like a Donvier) works just fine with this recipe.

2 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt  
3/4 cup light granulated unbleached organic sugar
OR Grade A light maple syrup or 1/2 cup agave nectar (use less if your fruit is very sweet) 
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice (or bottled organic)  
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp pure lemon extract OR the zest of 1 organic lemon
1 1/2 cup frozen three-berry mixture
1 teaspoon Instant Clear Jel OR 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum (This keeps the mixture from freezing absolutely solid and adds creaminess, especially with low-fat frozen desserts. See about Instant Clear Jel here.)

Add the ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor in the order given, and process the mixture until smooth. Freeze according to your machine's instructions. Scoop into a covered freezer container and freeze until firm before serving. (NOTE: If you use thawed or fresh berries instead, you will have to thoroughly chill the mixture before freezing in the machine.)

 Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per approx. 1/2 cup serving): 135.9 calories; 7% calories from fat; 1.1g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 9.7mg sodium; 47.1mg potassium; 30.6g carbohydrates; 1.8g fiber; 25.6g sugar; 28.8g net carbs; 1.9g protein; 2.5 points.


Enjoy!



3 comments:

spiceislandvegan said...

Looks so yummy, Bryanna!

Carrie™ said...

I was just saying to my husband a couple of days ago that I should get the ice cream maker out. I'm totally sold on the berry sorbet and very intrigued by the avocado-lime one. It sounds very interesting. Let the churning begin.

Corrin Radd said...

Been waiting to find cheap avocados to make that sorbet--and I finally did--so I made this tonight in the middle of a huge snowstorm with temps heading towards zero. Fantastic recipe, thanks!