Tuesday, September 17, 2013

CHEESEY GRILLED SEITAN SANDWICH WITH SALTED CARAMEL PEAR BUTTER; & BUTTERY SAGE-ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

Best Blog Tips


This was a quick supper that I made a few nights ago-- no real recipes needed!  For the sandwich, I wanted to make a savory one using my new Slow Cooker Salted Caramel Pear Butter (it's so tasty that I'm trying to devise ways to use it other than on toast).  I had some Daiya Mozza Shreds in the freezer and also a chunk of frozen leftover homemade seitan "pork tenderloin".  So, here's what I did:

The ingredients: Bottom left to right-- slices of seitan "pork", DH's homemade bread (mostly whole wheat with some oats), fresh Italian parsley that grows in pots on my deck (you could use arugula instead); Salted Caramel Pear Butter, my homemade lowfat vegan mayo, Daiya shreds (or use any favorite vegan cheese), and, in the middle, my homemade palm oil-free vegan Buttah.

Heat up your indoor grill or panini maker. The mayo goes on both sides of the bread and the seitan slices (and freshly-ground black pepper) on one bread slice; the pear butter on another.


Over the pear butter goes the Daiya shreds (or any favorite vegan cheese), and then the sliced Italian parsley (or use arugula if you have it around).


Carefully turn the seitan-laden slice over the other one and carefully transfer to your hot grill with a wide spatula.  Grill until the cheese melts and the outside is golden brown.  Yum!
*****


For a vegetable, I decided to roast a cauliflower that I wanted to use up.  I usually roast cauliflower with a little olive oil and za'atar (see this blog post), but I wanted to use some fresh sage from the herb garden. So, I placed the cauliflower-ettes in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with about 1/2 a cup of vegan "chickeny" broth in the bottom and drizzled the top with about 2 tablespoons of my homemade palm oil-free vegan Buttah .  I sprinkled them lightly with salt and about 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage.


I roasted this at 450 degrees F for about 30 minutes, turning once.  Mild-tasting, but terrific!

And there you have it-- a quick and delicious supper using leftovers, staples and herbs from the garden.

Enjoy!




No comments: