Wednesday, April 16, 2014

FARINATA (ITALIAN CHICKPEA FLOUR "PANCAKE") WITH VEGETABLE TOPPING FOR DINNER

Best Blog Tips

NOTE: Apologies for my lack of posting and this short post!  I'm trying to get ready for Easter company and I have a knee that's acting up, so I'm not getting as much done as I would like.  I'll post a proper post very soon!
HAPPY EASTER AND HAPPY PASSOVER/PESACH!

Above is a photo of our dinner the other night-- Farinata (Italian chickpea flour "pancake") with a topping of lightly sautéed veggies and a bit of vegan cheese, accompanied by roasted cauliflower. This is one of my favorite dishes. The recipe for the basic Farinata (and some history, too) is at this post on my blog (and it's in my book "Nonna's Italian Kitchen"). It is far more delicious than the simple ingredients might suggest. The modern way to eat this very old peasant dish is to use toppings on the already-baked farinata, a bit like pizza (it doesn't taste like pizza, though). Personally, I like vegetable toppings, cooked ones in colder weather, raw or cooked ones at room temperature in warmer weather. You can let your imagination run wild, but I think less is more in terms of number of ingredients.

The topping in the photo (added AFTER the 10 minute baking and then pop it under the broiler or into a very hot oven to melt the cheese) was a combination of thinly-sliced onion, chopped brocolette, thinly sliced baby zucchini, and some organic oven-dried Roma tomatoes from a jar (they are from Costco, Kirkland brand, and contain herbs and oil-- I rinse much of the oil off them in a strainer before using), along with some basil and about 4 cloves of garlic, slivered. I added a bit of vegan  parmesan and sprinkled a handful of Daiya mozza shreds on top (but you could use whatever type you prefer). 


Honestly, it's such an easy, inexpensive meal and so very nutritious and delicious! DH is crazy about this!
PS: I usually make this in a 14" round pizza pan, but I this time made it in my little Cuisinart countertop oven (energy-saving!), so I used the 12" square pan that comes with the oven, lined with parchment.

Do give this a try!


Enjoy!



3 comments:

Lucille said...

Dear Bryanna, I have already commented on this on Facebook but I will do so again because I have a question. It looks like such a delicious meal. What sort of onions did you use? Just white ones! I will probably be making this some time soon because it looks so simple to do and delicious. I suppose you got the Parmesan on Amazon in the States? How come they deliver to you because you're in Canada! I do hope you have seen a doctor about that knee. Take care!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Hi, Lucille! I use white or yellow onions. I can get the soy parmesan in our local health food store-- you should be able to find it in Ottawa.

Anonymous said...

Dear Bryanna, Thank you for another great recipe.
Over the years that I have been following your blog, you have proven to be the most generous of vegan chefs sharing a free multitude of recipes for vegans. These are recipes that are original and give away secrets that many do not know about the preparation of cuisine food.
You are one of a kind. All the best.
Ame Rica