Friday, September 28, 2012

WELCOMING FALL WITH A SHERRIED AUTUMNAL APPLE AND POTATO STEW

Best Blog Tips

It's definitely getting Fall-ish around here.  Even though the weather has been gorgeous (except today, which  is cloudy and drizzly-- the first rain in months), it's been on the chilly side when the sun is down.  The other day both my husband and I craved stew, so I pulled out a favorite recipe from one of my older books and tweaked it a bit.

It's not picture-pretty, but it's homey, comforting, satisfying, and, best of all, full of complex flavors.  I adore the combination of apples with savory onions, herbs and potatoes, with the flavor intensified by the addition of sherry.  You can serve this simply with a good crusty bread.
"Nuff said-- here's the recipe, and I hope you enjoy it!

Printable Recipe 

BRYANNA’S SHERRIED AUTUMNAL APPLE AND POTATO STEW
Serves 4
I made this stew years ago (in pre-vegetarian days) with pork.  It was so good that, quite a few years ago, I made a vegan version for my book “Soyfoods Cooking for a Positive Menopause”.  I have further tweaked the recipe to boost the flavor. I prefer to use textured soy protein chunks in stews (I like their texture), but there are other options in the recipe.

2 c. reconstituted textured soy protein chunks (1 1/2 cups dry, reconstituted in tasty broth), well-drained and patted dry (See Cooking Tip below for how to reconstitute-- for Americans, Barry Farm makes these, but I am now finding a similar product hard to find in Canada. I intend to order some of these organic chunks from amazon.ca )
    OR 2 cups reconstituted Soy Curls [2 oz. dry], or 2 cups seitan, cut into chunks, or even chunks of  your favorite commercial vegan "chikn brest".
Whole wheat (or brown rice) flour
1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium onions, thinly-sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dry rubbed sage (or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped)
2 large potatoes, cut into 6ths (or 3 medium ones, in quarters)
2 large apples, cored and chunked (peel only if not organic, or if skins are unsightly)
3 cups tasty vegetarian broth (I like better Than Bouillon No-Chicken vegan broth paste)
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup dry white wine or dry white vermouth (or use 1/2 cup total non-alcoholic sweet white wine)
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. organic unbleached sugar
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
           
Coat the soy protein chunks (or Soy Curls or seitan chunks, etc.) with flour.  Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.  Add the soy protein chunks and sliced onions.  When the onions soften (add squirts of water as needed to keep from sticking, but not too much), add the garlic, smoked paprika and pepper to taste and stir-cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients.
           
Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.  Serve hot with crusty bread and a salad.

Nutrition (per serving): 368.2 calories; 9% calories from fat; 4.2g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 799.6mg sodium; 1453.1mg potassium; 67.6g carbohydrates; 8.0g fiber; 17.0g sugar; 59.6g net carbs; 17.6g protein; 6.9 points.

Cooking Tip: 

HOW TO RECONSTITUTE TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CHUNKS 
Reconstitute the textured soy protein chunks by simmering 1 1/2 cups dry chunks in 3 cups water with 3 Tbs soy sauce, 3 Tbs ketchup or tomato paste, and 1 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes for 15-30 minutes, depending upon how tender you like them. Cool and store in the cooking broth. (I usually make 4 or more times this amount and freeze it in 2 cup portions.) Drain the chunks before using them, and pat them dry before coating with flour, frying, or marinating. This amount will yield about 2 cups reconstituted chunks.


Enjoy!


3 comments:

Jacqui said...

I have your beefy seitan pot roast from The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook in my crockpot right now, but this stew is on my "to make list"!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

I hope you enjoy it, Jacqui!

urban vegan said...

Looks fab, Bryanna! I'm not a fan of fall, but this will make it a little better :)